Tim offers a weekly class for advanced students meeting at his studio near Purcellville, VA for adults, young and experienced. You’ll find the class to be an invigorating experience as you enjoy learning the high art of portraiture. Take a break from the busyness of life and join us!
- 1 day/week on Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu (TBD) from 6:00-8:30 pm
- One-on-one & group instruction with Tim
- Maximum 12 students per class
- Learn to draw/paint from a live portrait model (clothed)
- Mediums: charcoal, pastel, oil (your preference)
- Personal critique of your work
- Learning how to begin a portrait drawing/painting
- Learn how to carry your work to completion
- Use and care of your tools
- Tips on selling your work on a professional level
High-level instruction on drawing and painting focusing on:
- drawing: lay-in, composition, angles, proportion, values, color theory, shading, mixing, posture, understanding and establishing a concept for your portrait, human anatomy, and more.
- painting: medium-specific technique, proper and archival application, grisaille, understanding and establishing a color palette, and more.
- art theory: your purpose, the essence of art, art history, the role of art in life and culture.
- self-critique: this skill is just as important as talent and desire. Tim teaches students how to constructively examine their work to improve their work and skills, so that even in the absence of a teacher students can continue to grow.
- motivation and concept: as any professional artist, writer, musician can tell you, inspiration comes after working, and not before. Tim teaches students how to get excited about their work, to cast a vision (concept) for their work project and use this to know when their work is complete.
Cost (includes model fee) is $25 per week, payable monthly. Minimum 5 students, maximum 12 students per class. If interested in this unique opportunity to study with Tim, please contact us.